Friday, January 30, 2009

Sudsy Pickles


Today we made our own laundry detergent. Times are tough financially for many of us and I am always looking for ways to save money. With six children, we do a ton of laundry. I first saw this detergent thing on the TLC show, 17 Kids and Counting. Then I looked it up online and found a good blog that discussed it. I found 5 lb pickle buckets for $2 each at Firehouse Subs (proceeds from the buckets go to help injured fire fighters and their families). Yes, they do smell very "pickley". So load in your car with caution. I finally washed them well enough to erase the pickle smell and they work great. I dont think I boiled the grated soap enough, so I have some "separation" issues. But as long as we shake it or mix it well enough, it works fine. Here is that link:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

No comments:

Post a Comment